One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An honorific title of a buddha.
- ‘The Buddha proclaimed himself a Tathagata and preached his first sermon, a momentous event in the history of Buddhism.’
- ‘If one practices the Tathagata's esoteric garbha, he is selfless, empty, and peaceful.’
- ‘Thus the Tathagata was encouraged to start spreading the Buddha Dharma…’
- ‘Then at the same time the Tathagata dwelt together with bodhisattvas and others in the great stupa, in the mandala of the sphere of phenomena.’
- ‘In another poem titled ‘Painting Buddha,’ Chen observed, ‘Having painted the Tathagata [Perfect One], I wish to make a eulogy. / But if the word samadhi [concentration] is in the mouth, it is difficult to show other people.’’
From Pali Tathāgata, from tathā ‘in that manner’ + gata ‘gone’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.