One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who imposes a harsh or onerous workload on someone.
- ‘Not only is it a hard taskmaster, insatiable in the demands it makes on its followers, it often saves the best till last.’
- ‘Renowned as a hard taskmaster who drives his charges to the limit, he admits to being a straight-talking sort who fell out with the rulers of amateur boxing in his native country.’
- ‘He went to train in Paris, Belgium and Scotland under harsh taskmasters.’
- ‘Martin, the course director, is something of a harsh taskmaster when he wants to be.’
- ‘He is said by colleagues to be a hard taskmaster who does not tolerate failure.’
- ‘He seemed a hard taskmaster, but he did it all for what he saw to be the ultimate good.’
- ‘Soden has been portrayed in some quarters as a hard taskmaster who doesn't suffer fools gladly.’
- ‘It involves hard choices and you have to be a hard taskmaster.’
- ‘I appreciated the counselling of compassion and acceptance, since my tendency is to be a harsh taskmistress.’
- ‘Generations of children in the town have grown up knowing her as a hard taskmaster in her role as a swimming instructor.’
- ‘She's quite a hard taskmaster: everything has to be just right.’
- ‘He can and will make mistakes and a public growing weary of this government will prove to be hard taskmasters when polling day comes around.’
- ‘But history is a hard taskmaster and she has also bequeathed to us all the problems arising from the defeats and betrayals of the socialist revolution in the twentieth century.’
- ‘I'm a hard taskmaster and there is still room for improvement.’
- ‘And he is a hard taskmaster where science is concerned.’
- ‘We object to the portrayal of Jesus as a demanding taskmaster who will send us to hell if we fail to live as faithful Christians.’
- ‘It is this very attention to detail that gives Miquel such a grasp of the businesses he runs, but also leads critics to describe him as difficult, a hard taskmaster and obsessive.’
- ‘The novel and the film tell the story of a piano instructor, Erika, a demanding taskmaster who embarks on a dramatic affair with a younger music student.’
- ‘He was my first guru and was a hard taskmaster, adamant about me getting the basics of my training in Carnatic music right.’
- ‘Having come face-to-face with the king of political interviews on his other show, University Challenge, she has nothing but praise for the hard taskmaster.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.