A large tropical marine fish of herringlike appearance.
- ‘Biologists also are in varying stages of research and replenishment of cobia, speckled trout, tarpon, snook, crappie, bluegill and striped bass stocks.’
- ‘There are also, in separate sections, adult turtles and big fish like jewfish, tarpon, snook and stingrays.’
- ‘That same morning, I was fighting a leaping tarpon on a tropical flat in southern Belize.’
- ‘Among these clades are such diverse forms as arawanas, knifefishes, mormyrids, eels, tarpon, and herring.’
- ‘Newspaper reports and pictures indicated an angler took an adult tarpon while surf casting at Montauk Point on 17 August 1997.’
Late 17th century: probably from Dutch tarpoen, perhaps from a Central American language.