One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Playing cards, traditionally a pack of 78 with five suits, used for fortune-telling and (especially in Europe) in certain games. The suits are typically swords, cups, coins (or pentacles), batons (or wands), and a permanent suit of trump.
- ‘I did much reading about Reincarnation, Astrology, Magick, Divination and Tarot.’
- ‘I make decisions easier now and don't agonize over them like I used to - the pendulum and Tarot have helped me greatly here.’
- ‘Our strengths include our commitment to truth and healing, our unconstrained support for one another, and the gift that is Tarot.’
- ‘Some common examples are the Tarot, Runes, I-Ching, Ifa.’
- ‘The suits are only called what they are because they were common objects when the Tarot was originated - swords and staves, coins and cups, they're everyday items.’
- 1.1 A card game played with tarot cards.
- ‘The blank cards can be used as an alternative to following suit (rather like the fool in classic tarot games).’
- ‘You and that beautiful woman - yes, yes, the one with the blue eyes - playing tarot with the French dudes.’
- ‘Turns out its a part of a flash card set for kids to learn numbers and such, but the tarot reference got us talking about doing a Fisher Price tarot set, like Tarot for kids.’
- 1.2 A tarot card.
- ‘I bought a deck of Tarot cards in college and then gave them away.’
- ‘About two years ago whilst looking for a deck of Tarot cards, a strange man approached me and pointed out a box that I kept passing over.’
- ‘While visiting a friend who has a 2 year-old, I saw a card on the floor that looked like a tarot card.’
- ‘She claimed to be able to sense the suit of a tarot card (Fire, Water, Matter, Air) through opaque barriers.’
- ‘Ultimately I'd like to tweak techniques using Tarot cards to use runes instead, see how that goes…’
- ‘Investigators found a spent bullet casing and a handwritten message scrawled on the back of a tarot card that denotes death.’
- ‘"Great," She smiled, " I'm gonna go over and talk to her, maybe have her read my tarots".’
- ‘If a tarot card gets ‘marked’ in some way, that can generally be considered a blessing on that card.’
- ‘I'm going to get out the Tarot cards again and give them a try.’
- ‘When I first met her she was reading Tarot cards on a picnic table in the smoking area.’
Late 16th century: from French, from Italian tarocchi, of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.