Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality or fact of being late; lateness.‘forgive my tardiness, I had some very important business to attend to’
belatedness, unpunctuality, lateness, delay, retardation, dilatorinessView synonyms
- ‘My tardiness has been heavily influenced by my employment commitments and, as such, was somewhat unavoidable.’
- ‘Humiliated by its tardiness in plugging into the Internet boom, Japan is determined not to suffer the same indignity in bioscience.’
- ‘Luckily, the plane was delayed, so their tardiness at Heathrow went unnoticed.’
- ‘I owe a few people email responses but I know I'll be forgiven for my tardiness.’
- ‘Rigidity in the labour market, wage-induced inflation and tardiness in technological adaptation were the predictable results.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.