Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality or fact of being late; lateness.‘forgive my tardiness, I had some very important business to attend to’
belatedness, unpunctuality, lateness, delay, retardation, dilatorinessView synonyms
- ‘Rigidity in the labour market, wage-induced inflation and tardiness in technological adaptation were the predictable results.’
- ‘My tardiness has been heavily influenced by my employment commitments and, as such, was somewhat unavoidable.’
- ‘I owe a few people email responses but I know I'll be forgiven for my tardiness.’
- ‘Humiliated by its tardiness in plugging into the Internet boom, Japan is determined not to suffer the same indignity in bioscience.’
- ‘Luckily, the plane was delayed, so their tardiness at Heathrow went unnoticed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.