A large wasp of the southwestern US that preys on tarantulas.
- ‘The tarantula hawk bends its long abdomen forward and underneath the tarantula to deliver a paralytic venom with its mighty stinger.’
- ‘The tarantula hawks sting their prey and use the dead tarantula's body to lay an egg in.’
- ‘All tarantula hawks are large, with metallic blue coloration, and have distinctive curly antennae.’
- ‘We did see several tarantula hawks buzzing past our heads and running around on the ground.’
- ‘Adult tarantula hawks feed on nectar and pollen, but their larvae feed on tarantulas.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.