One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large wasp of the southwestern US that preys on tarantulas.
Genus Pepsis, family Pompilidae
- ‘Adult tarantula hawks feed on nectar and pollen, but their larvae feed on tarantulas.’
- ‘The tarantula hawk bends its long abdomen forward and underneath the tarantula to deliver a paralytic venom with its mighty stinger.’
- ‘All tarantula hawks are large, with metallic blue coloration, and have distinctive curly antennae.’
- ‘We did see several tarantula hawks buzzing past our heads and running around on the ground.’
- ‘The tarantula hawks sting their prey and use the dead tarantula's body to lay an egg in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.