One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Mexican dish consisting of a small tortilla that is rolled around a filling of meat and cheese and then deep-fried.‘the fantastic taquitos and burritos have made this family-run establishment a favorite for three generations’
- ‘And watch out for the Combos, which add chips and beans to two tacos, three taquitos, or one burrito plus taco.’
- ‘Children can choose from a three-cheese quesadilla, chicken or beef taco, crispy nachos, chicken tenders and cheese taquitos.’
- ‘A rail-thin woman buys four packs of crackers, two Go-Go Taquitos and a breakfast sandwich.’
- ‘The taquitos ($8.49), a rolled, hard corn taco, were kind of like a Mexican spring roll.’
- ‘Other appealing appetizers included thick slabs of tender grilled calamari "steaks"; three taquitos, the crisp tortillas wrapping a filling of wonderfully cool fresh tuna, avocado and salsa, an inspired Mexican-Japanese combination; and delectable, slightly smoky, grilled octopus scented by fresh oregano.’
- ‘Sustenance can be found at the resort's oceanfront Sea Grill, which features an antojitos("little desires") menu of miniature empanadas, taquitos and other Mexican favorites ($8-$12).’
- ‘It's worth noting that in today's American food service world, probably none of the Spanish language terms used in the above paragraph (tacos, taquitos, quesadilla) are unfamiliar.’
- ‘The menu has around 30 items, beginning with appetizers with quesadillas, taquitos, nachos and tequila wings, or you can order a sampler with all of them.’
- ‘A flauta is rolled and a taquito is served flat over lettuce.’
- ‘Hernandez first learned to love chiles rellenos and taquitos with salsa verde as a child in El Salvador, tagging along to Mexican restaurants with her father.’
- ‘On Fridays they bring in free taquitos from Mama's restaurant next door.’
- ‘I recently did $10,000 worth of damage to our kitchen making a round of Soy Taquitos (the oil splattered, the smoke alarm didn't go off! no one was hurt!).’
- ‘The scariest—two taquitos and one quesadilla—racks up 2,000 calories.’
- ‘I always seem to get the chicken taquitos, which are delicious.’
- ‘The first dish we tried was our favorite: an appetizer of six beef taquitos ($6), corn tortillas tightly wrapped around seasoned beef and cheese, deep-fried without leaving a greasy residue, and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.’
- ‘On the daily menu, the appetizer list grows to include jalapeno poppers, quesadillas, and even a large sampler platter (chicken wings, taquitos, quesadillas and much more).’
American Spanish, diminutive of taco.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.