One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A relatively easy, close-range putt, shot, or tap of the ball into the goal or hole.
- ‘He turns people and uses his body well and can score both the wonder goals and tap-ins, which is part and parcel of being a good striker.’
- ‘Play was allowed to go on and from the resulting attack Gareth Jones was left with the easiest of tap-ins from four yards as the defence failed to stop Kendal's progress down the right flank.’
- ‘She scored the fourth with a far-post tap-in and Julie Ashworth added the fifth and also hit the post in last ten minutes.’
- ‘As Pistone's header duly flew past Simonsen, Noel Whelan was able to trot in for the tap-in.’
- ‘He can score different types of goals, not just tap-ins but he can also dribble round you or bend them in.’
- ‘He has been giving me a hammering for not scoring enough so I have tried to add it to my game - but I think I also still need to score more tap-ins.’
- ‘I've been lucky enough to have scored some good goals in my time so far at Spurs but they keep going on at me to get more tap-ins.’
- ‘He notched 18 league goals - some tap-ins, some headers, some spectacular long rangers - while being Liverpool's main striker and forcing his way into the England team.’
- ‘When that happens, he has to struggle over six-to-eight foot putts that should have been mere tap-ins.’
- ‘Unfortunately, he scored a tap-in when our defence was not concentrating as was the case for most of the first half.’
- ‘A teasing cross from De Rossi almost - almost - gives Toni his first tap-in of the tournament, but Kuffour somehow heads the ball away from underneath his own crossbar.’
- ‘A minute past the half-hour Henry, offered a tap-in by Sylvain Wiltord's low cross, opted for a fancy back-flick and missed the ball altogether.’
- ‘Within two minutes of the restart Stoke had doubled their advantage as Fenton galloped away down the left and crossed to hand Connor the simplest of tap-ins at the far post.’
- ‘He had the ability to score all kinds of goals - spectacular ones, tap-ins, headers and volleys.’
- ‘On 57 minutes, Hartley charged down a clearance and raced into the penalty area before squaring to allow Michal Pospisil a tap-in from close range.’
- ‘He scored a hat-trick - two tap-ins following a header after two minutes, which made him the first Briton to score a World Cup goal - and looked set for a long and glorious international career.’
- ‘He scored on the half hour with a tap-in, but Stephen Jones equalised for the students early in the second half.’
- ‘Certainly the games will be competitive; any idea that women's football is about fancy flicks and tap-ins are way off the mark.’
- ‘He is just as happy with a tap-in as he is with a wonder goal from 30 yards out.’
- ‘Craig Walmsley made it 3-1 with a direct free kick and set up the fourth goal with a good run to give Wilson a tap-in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.