One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A relatively easy, close-range putt, shot, or tap of the ball into the goal or hole.
- ‘A teasing cross from De Rossi almost - almost - gives Toni his first tap-in of the tournament, but Kuffour somehow heads the ball away from underneath his own crossbar.’
- ‘He turns people and uses his body well and can score both the wonder goals and tap-ins, which is part and parcel of being a good striker.’
- ‘He is just as happy with a tap-in as he is with a wonder goal from 30 yards out.’
- ‘He has been giving me a hammering for not scoring enough so I have tried to add it to my game - but I think I also still need to score more tap-ins.’
- ‘As Pistone's header duly flew past Simonsen, Noel Whelan was able to trot in for the tap-in.’
- ‘She scored the fourth with a far-post tap-in and Julie Ashworth added the fifth and also hit the post in last ten minutes.’
- ‘On 57 minutes, Hartley charged down a clearance and raced into the penalty area before squaring to allow Michal Pospisil a tap-in from close range.’
- ‘I've been lucky enough to have scored some good goals in my time so far at Spurs but they keep going on at me to get more tap-ins.’
- ‘He notched 18 league goals - some tap-ins, some headers, some spectacular long rangers - while being Liverpool's main striker and forcing his way into the England team.’
- ‘Within two minutes of the restart Stoke had doubled their advantage as Fenton galloped away down the left and crossed to hand Connor the simplest of tap-ins at the far post.’
- ‘Unfortunately, he scored a tap-in when our defence was not concentrating as was the case for most of the first half.’
- ‘Craig Walmsley made it 3-1 with a direct free kick and set up the fourth goal with a good run to give Wilson a tap-in.’
- ‘He scored a hat-trick - two tap-ins following a header after two minutes, which made him the first Briton to score a World Cup goal - and looked set for a long and glorious international career.’
- ‘He scored on the half hour with a tap-in, but Stephen Jones equalised for the students early in the second half.’
- ‘When that happens, he has to struggle over six-to-eight foot putts that should have been mere tap-ins.’
- ‘He can score different types of goals, not just tap-ins but he can also dribble round you or bend them in.’
- ‘Certainly the games will be competitive; any idea that women's football is about fancy flicks and tap-ins are way off the mark.’
- ‘A minute past the half-hour Henry, offered a tap-in by Sylvain Wiltord's low cross, opted for a fancy back-flick and missed the ball altogether.’
- ‘He had the ability to score all kinds of goals - spectacular ones, tap-ins, headers and volleys.’
- ‘Play was allowed to go on and from the resulting attack Gareth Jones was left with the easiest of tap-ins from four yards as the defence failed to stop Kendal's progress down the right flank.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.