Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Chinese philosophy based on the writings of Lao-tzu (fl. 6th century BC), advocating humility and religious piety.
- ‘As I came from a Yang Ban family, I had an interest in Taoism, Chundoism and Christianity.’
- ‘Chinese Indonesians brought Buddhism to Indonesia, along with Taoism and Confucianism.’
- ‘In terms of the philosophy of Taoism, those who seek to enslave others in such a manner have most definitely departed from the ‘way’.’
- ‘Later I read about other religions and found that Taoism most closely reflected my own beliefs, but I wasn't drawn to it.’
- ‘In the Mahayana school, Buddhism incorporated Chinese Taoism and eventually evolved into Ch'an, or better yet known as Zen in Japan.’
- ‘The guqin music was also influenced by Chinese philosophies including Confucianism and Taoism.’
- ‘The Vietnamese people adhere to a syncretic religious tradition that is a mixture of Mahayana Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism.’
- ‘Buddhism coexisted with archaic Hinduism in India and Sri Lanka, Taoism and Confucianism in China, the Bon religion in Tibet, and Shinto in Japan.’
- ‘Confucianism blamed Taoist philosophy of escapism, while Taoism responded by deeming Confucianism as escapist from one's true nature.’
- ‘Confucianism, Taoism, and shamanism have also influenced Japanese religion.’
- ‘The Chinese philosophy of Taoism looked inward, seeking harmony with nature.’
- ‘Zen is a synthesis of Indian Buddhism and Chinese Taoism.’
- ‘Most Chinese residents practice Chinese folk religion which is an amalgam of Taoism, Buddhism, and ancestor worship.’
- ‘The roots of Japanese mythology are in the Shinto religion, in Taoism and in Zen Buddhism alike.’
- ‘The Taoism that most people would be familiar with would centre on a text known as The Book of the Way and its Power or some form of that.’
- ‘The goal of Taoism is to live in harmony with nature by learning to balance the complementary forces of Yin and Yang which are believed to pervade the universe.’
- ‘In the spiritual traditions of China, Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism, practices and disciplines for refinement of the spirit are common.’
- ‘The revival of Confucius mirrors the return of other traditional belief systems and religions such as Taoism and Buddhism.’
- ‘He was an ordained Episcopal priest who wrote a great deal about Taoism (and Eastern philosophy in general).’
- ‘Historically, Buddhism reached different regions at different times, and its evolution has been eclectic, often mingling with Taoism and Confucianism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.