One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blue or violet gem variety of zoisite, containing vanadium.
- ‘His analyses of some of the newer and less mainstream gemstones such as tanzanite, tsavorite, and Paraiba tourmaline are particularly welcome additions to the gemological literature.’
- ‘The chain was silver and the pendant was made of ruby and specks of tanzanite were embedded in the crystal's casing.’
- ‘Some of the highlights are a 220-pound, 500,000-carat golden sapphire, one of the world's largest; a 4,360-carat ‘rainbow’ calcite; and the world's largest tanzanite set in a tiara with one thousand diamonds.’
- ‘For gem enthusiasts, a remarkable 201-carat faceted tanzanite and an equally outstanding faceted 53-carat tsavorite will be just two of the exciting African gemstones featured at the show.’
- ‘The traditional kundan work has also been embellished with semi-precious and precious stones and beads such as tourmalines, tanzanites, opals, aquamarine and peridots.’
1960s: from Tanzania + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.