Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An area of oil or gas storage tanks.
- ‘The company ponied up a hefty $55 per square foot for a property that had been an oil tank farm - which included $800,000 in environmental remediation costs.’
- ‘But I play along, as we follow a bike path past a tank farm, then along the marshy shore of the bay.’
- ‘The predicted cost of $14 million does not include the cost of land acquisition or having to relocate the tank farm to the eastern end of the runway.’
- ‘The British National Oil Corporation brought the pipeline from the nearby field into a tanker terminal and tank farm at Nigg.’
- ‘For the rest of the morning, we caravaned by car to more lookouts along the river, including an old pier by an oil tank farm, the banks of a condominium development, and a nature sanctuary.’
- ‘The planned development in the area surrounding the camp follows from the Northern Territory government's securing of a new location for the neighboring tank farm.’
- ‘The women say they had waited in vain for three weeks for a response to a list of demands before losing patience and hijacking and occupying the docks, airfield, gas plant and tank farm.’
- ‘He said the site, located near the tank farm along a runway built by the American Air Force, will cost about $350,000 to build, compared to the $500,000 price tag on the other site.’
- ‘Another attack against a California oil refinery and tank farm was motivated more by personal rather than military strategy; in any case, that attack was also ineffectual.’
- ‘His visit follows state-owned Indian Oil Corporation Limited having secured a deal with Ceylon Petroleum Corporation to lease an oil storage tank farm in Sri Lanka's North Eastern port town of Trincomalee.’
- ‘The charges were laid in relation to spills alleged to have originated in June 2002 from the company's tank farm on the Island two months before the mine closed.’
- ‘Between 10 am and 3pm, eight buses, each with a guide and commentary, made continuous trips around the refinery and tank farm.’
- ‘The corporation's objective is to build infrastructure in the oil industry from tank farms to pipelines.’
- ‘The majority of these tasks have been completed, including dust control and the remediation of contaminated soils surrounding the marine tank farm.’
- ‘The condensate/light oil was extracted from the gas and sent to a newly built tank farm at Paritutu near Port Taranaki.’
- ‘"The seismic effects of the collapses are comparable to the explosions at a gasoline tank farm near Newark on Jan.7, 1983, " the Palisades Seismology Group reported on Sept.14, 2001.’
- ‘The spill originated from the fuel tank farm at the mine site, which closed in 2002 after 22 years of operation.’
- ‘The fuel would be scrubbed at the tank farm to reduce the concentration of oxygen in the fuel.’
- ‘"It is much more expensive to build tank farms underground but it is far more secure," he says.’
- ‘I'm from a town that has lots of refineries and tank farms.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.