One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hybrid of the tangerine and grapefruit.
- ‘Some have wonderful names too: biodynamic rice and tuna salad and tangelo, jasmine tea, fruit and walnut bread.’
- ‘Think about the crossbreeding and hybridization that farmers have been doing for hundreds of years, relying on instinct, trial and error, and luck to bring us things like tangelos, giant pumpkins, and burpless cucumbers.’
- ‘Plant breeders not ‘nature’ gave us seedless grapes and watermelons, the tangelo (a tangerine-grapefruit hybrid), the ‘canola’ variety of rapeseed, and fungus-resistant strawberries.’
- ‘This category included lemons, oranges, mandarins, tangelos, and grapefruits, with lemons being the most common type.’
- ‘I remember eating my first tangelo 20+ years ago when I was just a kid, and it spoiled my taste for oranges - I used to pine for them when we moved back to Illinois.’
Early 20th century: blend of tangerine and pomelo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.