Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Ayurveda) denoting a class of foods that are dry, old, foul, or unpalatable, and are thought to promote pessimism, ignorance, laziness, criminal tendencies, and doubt.
- ‘Please don't publish news promoting such tamasic food products as ‘Chicken Tikka Masala.’’
- ‘Reducing the amount of rajasic and tamasic foods in the diet initiates a shift in perception; however, to really feel the benefits it is important also to make some lifestyle changes.’
- ‘Sattvic foods have an uplifting yet stabilizing influence, rajasic foods stimulate and can aggravate some aspects of the mind, heart or senses, and tamasic foods breed lethargy and are considered a deterrent to spiritual growth.’
- ‘The tamasic category includes meat and is attributed to a state of darkness, ignorance, lethargy and inactivity.’
- ‘Although our Thai culture is one of meat eating, I try to promote vegetarianism among the youth, as I understand that meat is a tamasic food.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.