Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A movie with a soundtrack, as distinct from a silent film.
- ‘On the way over to Harlem, Pinto and Jolson passed a movie theater playing a revival of ‘The Jazz Singer, ‘the first talking picture, starring the immortal George Jessel.’’
- ‘But she won the Best Actress Oscar for this movie in her debut role in talking pictures - and deserved it.’
- ‘Her remarkable vocal projection was necessary for a Hollywood that needed recordable voices for the new talking pictures.’
- ‘He was, above all, a celebrity, and he died before talking pictures could tarnish his hypnotic image.’
- ‘In 1932, as talking pictures swept the world, Wallace Beery played a fat and faded fighter trying to recreate his past for his too-cute son in The Champ, a lachrymose film characteristic of its time.’
- ‘Reaching for the Moon starred none other than Mr. Hollywood, Douglas Fairbanks, in his second talking picture, and co-starred Bebe Daniels, with Bing Crosby along to do the singing.’
- ‘The process of film-making is going through the most profound revolution since the advent of talking pictures.’
- ‘From September 1920, children were admitted free to the pictures and 10 years later, the first local full-length talking picture, Devil May Care, was shown at the hall.’
- ‘Fetchit's early work in Hollywood as a lazy, whining clown in films such as In Old Kentucky and Salute got him noticed, but it was Hearts in Dixie, an all-black talking picture, that first highlighted his comic gifts.’
- ‘They'll get the same period feel as the film, it's the start of talking pictures and the problems that poses to the existing silent stars.’
- ‘He moved into direction with a silent two-reel drama, Sunlight, lost from sight in the excitement of talking pictures.’
- ‘The advent of talking pictures put her out of work.’
- ‘They concocted a period piece, set way back at the coming of talking pictures, 24 years earlier.’
- ‘Although Keaton also made several talking pictures, his silent movies are what made him famous and define his most creative efforts as a filmmaker and actor.’
- ‘Chaplin, with his unique popularity, was able to stretch his transition from silents to talkies over a decade and completed one successful talking film, The Great Dictator.’
- ‘When talking films came in, the movie studios had a problem: how to market their product overseas.’
- ‘The makers of Tala kitchenware, famous manufacturers of icing equipment and kitchenware generally, have recently made a talking film in colour entitled ‘Let's decorate a cake.’’
- ‘Hollywood already was in the throes of the changeover to talking pictures in 1928, but it was too late to make ‘The Man Who Laughs ‘a talkie.’’
- ‘The audience will encounter a much serious version of Chaplin in ‘Great Dictator’, his first talking film, on April 20.’
- ‘The first full-length talking picture, The Jazz Singer, opened in New York.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.