One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A commentator or reporter on television who addresses the camera and is viewed in close-up.
- ‘A short production featurette has the usual talking heads and behind the scenes footage of the stunts.’
- ‘Did we need the anchors and the commentators and the talking heads and prognosticators to tell us how awful it was?’
- ‘One finds similar comments on an almost daily basis on the op-ed pages of the New York Times and in the mouths of whatever talking head appears on television.’
- ‘They consist entirely of old clips interspersed with a few talking heads and a slightly sarcastic commentary.’
- ‘Maybe we do not respond to this study because we are used to having things presented to us in sound bites by talking heads.’
- ‘Dunphy may be equally unimpressed by the majority of celebrities and talking heads who sustain the talk show circuit but he might have a little more fun with them.’
- ‘Did any of the talking heads on the news analysis shows make this point?’
- ‘Initially Jackanory used the simplest form of television presentation - a talking head reading to camera with cross fades to static illustrations.’
- ‘Certainly there was room on the disc for some featurette or commentary from some talking heads.’
- ‘I don't always agree with this reporter / talking head but I do like his Thanksgiving message.’
- ‘He is a Georgetown University prof, a prolific scholar, and a frequent television talking head on legal issues.’
- ‘The talking heads are tempering the broadcast by focussing on the lack of ‘law and order’.’
- ‘On television, we saw many talking heads whose lips were not synchronized with the accompanying audio.’
- ‘His career now was made up of a mix of TV work, opinion pieces in lesser known magazines, and the occasional talking head / chatshow appearance, where he could always be counted on for good value.’
- ‘He was their ticket to Washington, their entrée into the bigs, their chance to become talking heads on the Sunday chat shows.’
- ‘His camera remains unobtrusive when facing the talking heads, but becomes expressive in times of transition.’
- ‘What I fail to understand is why the politicians and talking heads aren't bringing this up on talk shows.’
- ‘Review, the Weekly Standard, and other conservative organs provide the talking heads for cable news.’
- ‘The talking heads on the TV news channels simply don't know how to cope with so many main news stories at one time.’
- ‘Unfortunately, too many of the talking heads parroted rather than questioned those assertions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.