Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The time during which a mobile telephone is in use to handle calls, especially as a measure of the duration of the telephone's battery.
- ‘A lithium-ion battery gives a quoted talktime of five hours and standby of 150 hours which is pretty realistic.’
- ‘Batteries will usually last at least 100 hours on standby and give around two hours' talktime, but batteries that last for up to 15 days standby and ten hours talk-time are available.’
- ‘The FS258 also has a good battery life - its published specs are a maximum of 8 hours of talktime or 240 on standby.’
- ‘The phone has a standby time of just 35 hours, and a meagre talktime of 2.5 hours, a figure which I suspect covers voice alone, not battery-draining video or high speed data.’
- ‘It's got an 1150mAh battery, enough for five hours' talktime and 10.4 days' stand-by time.’
- ‘The P910i has a published 13-hour talktime and 400 hours of standby time.’
- ‘The speech quality is excellent and talktime on a single charge is about four to five hours.’
- ‘A side button on the top left of the T68 gives status information, including date, current profile setting, standby time and talktime remaining, and GPRS status.’
- ‘Those who are feeling generous might prefer to buy a phone with free talktime included.’
- ‘HTC claims the device allows 3 hours talktime or 100 hours of standby.’
- ‘It's a mite bigger than another Bluetooth headset I have tried - the Motorola headset - but it has up to eight hours talktime, easily the longest of any model on the market.’
- ‘Measuring 106x46x20 mm and weighing 99g, Siemens claim a battery life of 300 hours standby or six hours of talktime; in practice, three days easy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.