One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discuss something thoroughly.
- ‘Every so often I like to get together with all my chefs to talk things through, discuss suppliers, chat about what should and shouldn't be on the menus, that sort of thing.’
- ‘The bartenders talk it through, reviewing the recipe, measuring and tasting and discussing the drink's fine points.’
- ‘We want to talk these proposals through with the community.’
- ‘But I want to see a public debate on these questions so the church can talk things through now rather than later on.’
- ‘After talking things through we wandered back upstairs to inquire about our boy.’
- ‘I thought his remarks were disrespectful, but after talking things over with him I realised I read too much into them.’
- ‘It brought the subject to the fore and we talked things through.’
- ‘We considered our options last night and after talking things through with our advisor decided to pull the plug on the ill fated mortgage application.’
- ‘You can stay the whole break if you wish, Rose and I have thoroughly talked it over.’
- ‘As to the secret of 60 years of marriage, Ronald says: ‘We discussed everything and we talked our problems over.’’
- ‘He talked it over with his sister, discussing details of the condition and whether his portrayal was right or wrong.’
- ‘It was only as I was slowly talking my way through the question that I realised it was a trick question.’
- ‘It says here that the secret of a happy marriage is communication, talking things through.’
- ‘I am a great believer in talking things through.’
- ‘One of the best parts of the movie for me was talking the movie over with friends, discussing our own interpretations.’
- ‘I'm used to talking things through and most of all sticking with until it's really un-fixable or someone falls out of love.’
- ‘They talked things over before heading on to Carrington.’
- ‘I talked things over with my family, because I would need their support if I were to accomplish what I wanted to do.’
- ‘He had initially planned to retire at the end of the 2001-2002 season but then changed his mind after talking things through with his family.’
- ‘He had talked it over with Carol Anne and Paige and after much discussion had decided to go for it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.