One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discuss someone or something in a way that makes them seem more interesting or attractive.
promote, push, boost, hype, merchandise, publicize, advertise, give publicity to, give a puff to, puff, puff up, build up, bang the drum for, beat the drum forView synonyms
- ‘Despite the obvious problems with the court, its officials, publicly at least, are talking it up.’
- ‘I like to think I am already an ambassador, talking Scotland up when I go abroad.’
- ‘Sure, partisan pundits spent the campaign season talking their own guy up, but that's a different matter.’
- ‘If you are in the business of flogging houses, it is in your financial interest to talk the market up.’
- ‘I absolutely loved the film, and was talking it up to people who were really skeptical about it.’
- ‘It's not even especially interestingly designed, despite attempts to try and talk it up.’
- ‘And it's just possible that we ought to be talking it up rather than running it down.’
- ‘I am not going to spend these next few weeks going around talking Britain down.’
- ‘He talks people down, stretches the truth, ignores or denies uncomfortable facts, is blatantly rude to anyone to questions him.’
- ‘He does always seem to be talking the players down, saying they are not good enough.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.