One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discuss matters concerning one's work, especially at a social occasion when this is inappropriate.
- ‘In the first instance, I took over and talked shop with the club guy.’
- ‘Wright and Goldschmidt were known to be on good terms and undoubtedly talked shop often.’
- ‘Sitting around the table in the pub, we discussed things, caught up with each other, talked shop and threw around a few jokes.’
- ‘A marketing girl and her colleague talked shop for a while, discussing the approach to the market research, questions about breakfast cereals, etc.’
- ‘The rest of the cast talks shop in between looking concerned or angry.’
- ‘Hundreds of show-goers mingled and talked shop before heading out into the early spring evening.’
- ‘We talked shop with Larry Hughes for a minute.’
- ‘They talked shop and brought me up to speed on their office politics.’
- ‘Chart topper Juliette Turner talked shop with Dawn Kenny who is the supporting act for her performance on Monday 5th August.’
- ‘We talked shop for a few minutes before she got in a call to her people and sorted out the limo situation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.