One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of fine Mexican earthenware featuring colored decoration on an opaque white glaze, produced principally in Puebla.
- ‘In vessels of painted Talavera ware, which shame the finest silver, the heads of pinks show bright, with basil all round about, just as if the earth were clad in red and blue gauze, in Oriental fashion.’
- ‘Like other arts in Mexico, Talavera ware reflects the confluence of cultures in form and ornament to create a distinctive Puebla style.’
- ‘The mural is crafted in Talavera tile from Cholula, Mexico, and incorporates icons from both Mexican and New Mexican cultures.’
- ‘The plate is also a typical ceramic craft from Puebla, called Talavera pottery.’
- ‘His passion for collecting the arts of colonial Mexico—from painting, sculpture and richly carved furniture to silver, gold and iron pieces and Talavera earthenware—is brought to attention in a new exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.’
- ‘The mix includes beautiful blue-and-white talavera pottery from the nearby town of Delores Hidalgo, as well as unmistakable relics of Mexican religious life.’
- ‘A distinctive, colourful hand-painted pottery style, talavera is seen to its best advantage in basins.’
- ‘Puebla is the home of the Talavera porcelain, some of the most beautiful artesania in Mexico.’
- ‘Thus, visitors will be able to take home a set of earthenware crockery from Michoacan, a piece of Talavera china from Puebla, or a brightly colored animal figure from Oaxaca, to mention just a few of the types of craftwork available.’
- ‘Portraits of women, such as the 1782 "Portrait of a Lady" by Miguel de Herrera, are also of interest, as are the many outstanding examples of Talavera earthenware from various eras.’
- ‘The pretty Mexican town of Puerto Vallarta is notable for two things: Richard Burton bought a home for Elizabeth Taylor there; and it is the base for a site that sells great talavera.’
Early 19th century named after Talavera de la Reina, the Spanish town where this variety of pottery originated.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.