Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A wrestling maneuver in which an opponent is swiftly brought to the mat from a standing position.
- ‘The most common takedowns come mainly from freestyle wrestling.’
- ‘His two best moves are an ankle lace and a gut wrench, techniques to use after takedowns or on offensive restarts to turn an opponent's shoulders to the mat for bonus points.’
- ‘Find a local judo or wrestling club - this will develop your takedowns as well as developing your skill in certain aspects of groundfighting.’
- ‘I had an advantage over all the other boys I had to wrestle; Ambucs had a fantastic head coach who taught us techniques out of any jam and ways of surprising your opponent with a takedown.’
- ‘I went back to learning judo throws and wrestling takedowns.’
2usually as modifier The removal of a website, web page, or file from the Internet, typically in response to a formal request.‘a copyright takedown notice can result in your channel getting deleted’
3as modifier Denoting a firearm with the capacity to have the barrel and magazine detached from the stock.
- ‘The bad news is that we will need to be a little more careful to insure that the takedown screw remains tight when the rifle is in use.’
- ‘On the left side of the frame, just forward of the trigger, is the takedown lever.’
- ‘Now the same company has announced a takedown version of the Winchester Model 1892 lever gun, and I can't wait to get my hands on one for test firing.’
- ‘Slide stop and takedown lever are neatly recessed/shrouded by the frame's contours to prevent inadvertent operation.’
- ‘The takedown latch is located right above the trigger and couldn't be much easier.’
- ‘There's no need to pull the trigger or manipulate the slide to find a ‘sweet’ spot or fiddle with a small takedown latch.’
- ‘Their takedown design leaves the trigger group attached to the stock with a bolt through the butt so there is no need for a tang at all.’
- ‘Whether you were riding the streetcar out of town for a day of woods loafing, or taking the train for a two week holiday in the Adirondacks, a takedown rifle was markedly easier to carry.’
- ‘Carbines were only $21, and by this time Winchester had developed their takedown system which made gun carrying handier for railroad travelers.’
- ‘To field strip, make sure the pistol is unloaded, remove the magazine, decock and pull down on the takedown latch.’
- ‘Regardless, Taylor's & Co. is now offering a Model 92 as a perfect companion for .44 Special sixguns with the added bonus of being a takedown rifle.’
- ‘It has the same takedown feature as the Model 9422 Winchester.’
- ‘My version has no stock slot, but does have the takedown lever.’
- ‘And instead of the difficult takedown used on the Sigma and Glock, the FN pistol has a simple takedown lever.’
- ‘It's not that it's a huge gun; it's just that the front portion is extremely square, and the takedown lever sticks out a bit.’
- ‘While the fit is superb I would prefer a gun you can push the takedown pin out on by hand.’
- ‘In the December, '02 issue of GUNS Magazine, we ran a story on the Savage model 30 Favorite including a simple modification to make it into a takedown rifle.’
- ‘There's room for tons of gear or even a takedown rifle or shotgun.’
- ‘It might feature a barrel of heavier contour, an upper receiver tang drilled and tapped for a tang sight as well as the takedown feature.’
- ‘The old Favorites were all takedown guns, while the new Model 30G was a solid frame.’
4informal A police raid or arrest.raid, surprise searchView synonyms
5informal An instance of overwhelmingly defeating or severely criticizing someone or something.‘a takedown of the self-help movement’‘a vicious takedown of celebrities who are famous for being famous’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.