One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually with negative Accept an insult, setback, rebuke, etc., without reacting or protesting.
- ‘The visitors refused to take this setback lying down and almost immediately forced a corner.’
- ‘Congressional wildlife supporters didn't take the ambush lying down.’
- ‘But, at least along the province's South Shore, folks are not taking things lying down.’
- ‘Fortunately, companies are not taking it lying down.’
- ‘This was never the kind of game where players took things lying down.’
- ‘Right now, some critical favorites are on the endangered list, and fans are not taking it lying down.’
- ‘Neither the newspaper nor the rest of the press took it lying down.’
- ‘At least she isn't taking his attacks lying down.’
- ‘The magazine isn't taking her comments lying down, however.’
- ‘He explained the college was not taking the news lying down and was working hard to repackage courses, such as offering alternatives that may not have an exam at the end.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.