One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Understand and act on a hint.‘she tried to put him off but he didn't take the hint’
understand, get the point, get the drift, comprehendView synonyms
- ‘As one should never address a surgeon directly in Spain, the columnist suggests trying to sing, hoping the surgeon takes the hint.’
- ‘He took the hint, but sadly, things didn't get any better.’
- ‘I took the hint and cut back on the hooch, and pretty soon the headache faded.’
- ‘When the behavior continued, the compliance department took the hint and kept quiet.’
- ‘Cloud took the hint and latched his arms around both my legs when I jumped.’
- ‘Many Vietnamese tourist attractions took the hint and prevented Chinese visitors from attending their venues.’
- ‘Logan took the hint and gave a small smile of understanding.’
- ‘Meeting Faolan's eye, I yawn suggestively, and he takes the hint.’
- ‘Hilary kept at it, not taking the hint that Lavenna didn't want to talk about it.’
- ‘He took the hint and headed in a westerly direction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.