Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Bangladesh, equal to 100 poisha.
- ‘With a loan from Yunus of 50 taka (a few dollars), it took Sophia only a few months to establish her own little business, increase her income seven fold, and repay the loan.’
- ‘In Bangladesh, the government has just imposed a tax of 900 taka on all new connections, in addition to an import duty of 300 taka levied on all imported handsets.’
- ‘One tree can fetch 300 Bangladeshi taka in a country where many families survive on just 100 taka a day.’
- ‘We were vagabonds but now we have land, a home and we earn around at least 6,000 taka a month.’
- ‘The Dhaka-based Bengali film industry churns out more than 100 low-budget movies a year at an average cost of 6.5 million taka each.’
- ‘Bangladesh has spent about 500 billion taka (8.43 billion dollars) in efforts to stop erosion over the past three decades.’
- ‘Authorities have already distributed 8,600 tonnes of rice and 13.68 million taka in cash to flood victims.’
- ‘The incomes they earn are small - Farida sells her candles for four taka a packet - but it can be enough to make a drastic difference, securing homes that they might otherwise be evicted from and offering hope of expansion in the future.’
- ‘After that I took a loan of 5000 taka to buy a rickshaw.’
- ‘The phones are registered only in the name of women but they are also operated by their husbands and sons and shared out in the village at a few taka per call.’
- ‘Under the system, borrowers with perfect repayment records of income-generating loans, which must be repaid in a year, become eligible for housing loans of up to 25,000 taka.’
From Bengali ṭākā.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.