One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rear section of the exhaust system of a motor vehicle.
- ‘Deep side sill extensions lead to a new rear bumper incorporating twin trapezoidal exhaust tailpipes.’
- ‘Apart from the larger wheels and badging, the Turbo S also wears a subtly redesigned front air grille and oval, rather than rectangular section tailpipes.’
- ‘The fuel cell cars featured in this issue hold out the tantalizing prospect of eliminating the automotive tailpipe, replacing smog-causing emissions with the drip of clean water.’
- ‘The nutrients and toxic substances running off our cities, streets, yards, and fields and emanating from our smokestacks and tailpipes present the greatest pollution threat to coastal waters.’
- ‘Exhaust coming out of the tailpipes of today's cars is cleaner than that of cars a generation ago - due in large part to the catalytic converter.’
- ‘Motors idled, and tailpipes puffed and nobody was going anywhere.’
- ‘Normally CO flows from the engine through the tailpipe to the rear of the car where it is dispersed into the atmosphere.’
- ‘It's late afternoon Friday, and you are stopped at the corner of Weber and Northfield behind a silent silver Honda with no exhaust coming from its tailpipe.’
- ‘Around the back, you'll find a deeper bumper with a chromed tailpipe poking through off-centre, a boot spoiler and some discreet badging.’
- ‘Dual exhaust system has two tailpipes, which allows the engine to exhaust more freely, thereby lowering the back pressure which is inherent in an exhaust system.’
- ‘Styling is clean, has sporty overtones with its wedge profile, chiseled belt line and twin chrome exhaust tailpipes.’
- ‘Twin exhaust tailpipes, one at either side of the car, are the only giveaway that a 3.0 litre V6 engine lies under the bonnet.’
- ‘Some of the subtle alterations include a tailpipe covered by the rear air dam as well as enlarged air intakes to provide more air for the intercooler.’
- ‘Similarly, by lowering the air pollution from smokestacks and tailpipes, carbon taxes also reduce respiratory illnesses such as asthma and emphysema, and health care costs - a triple dividend.’
- ‘When it's cool, when you first start your car or truck in the morning, exhaust gases go out the tailpipe unburned.’
- ‘I rounded a turn, and was unsurprised to see a car off the road, hazards blinking, exhaust funneling out the tailpipe like an angry beast.’
- ‘Its twin chamber exhaust system is made of stainless steel all the way to the silencers, before exhaust emissions leave the car through the four tailpipes.’
- ‘Nevertheless, automobile tailpipes still produce a quarter of the carbon dioxide generated annually in the U.S.’
- ‘It turns out that all the carbon dioxide and pollutants we are pumping out through our tailpipes and smokestacks doesn't dissipate as readily as had been previously thought.’
- ‘In both cities and forests, alkyl nitrates are made when nitrogen oxides, which are produced by automobile tailpipes and smokestacks, react with hydrocarbon molecules.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.