Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of clothes) smart, fitted, and well cut.‘a tailored charcoal-gray suit’
- ‘This clothing industry trade group is made up of men's apparel retailers and manufacturers of suits and tailored clothing.’
- ‘Men typically wore trousers and a tailored shirt under a vest or coat.’
- ‘Dressed in a silver-patterned silk shirt and tailored trousers, he exudes self-confidence.’
- ‘The groom is wearing his tailored black tuxedo with cummerbund and all the classic details.’
- ‘I looked down upon my beautifully tailored costume.’
- ‘The firm makes fabrics for men's suits and women's tailored garments.’
- ‘I wanted a smart, tailored look with trousers that are a little too short.’
- ‘We can offer beautifully tailored jackets, trouser suits, skirts and dresses at very competitive prices.’
- ‘In an effort to boost pride in York, it was agreed cabbies should wear smart suits, tailored trousers and black dress shoes in winter.’
- ‘So perhaps try some tailored pants (and a tailored vest if you go that route)’
- ‘This is not a fabric which tailors well; it is more suited to soft, drapey designs such as full skirts and pants, soft blouses as opposed to tailored shirts.’
- ‘Keep in mind, however, that a layered combo can include one or more classy pieces, such as a tailored blazer and a fine dress shirt.’
- ‘Avoid keeping things in your suit pocket if it's a slim-fitting, tailored suit.’
- ‘You can picture Eriksson in his tailored white suit and panama hat, travelling the continents and inspecting his crops.’
- ‘The beauty of a tailored suit is that you can add personal touches to make your suit look genuine and unique.’
- ‘Whether you enjoy wearing a tailored suit, old jeans, khakis, or corduroys, we have the perfect shoes for you to step out in.’
- ‘This season is seeing an emphasis on tailored suits, with clean, straight lines, as well as linen as a base fabric for everything from pants to suits.’
- ‘In addition, you're sure to find a lot of merino wool in stores, as well as plenty of sharp, tailored suits.’
- ‘It features a sueded finish, tailored collar with top button loop, a left chest pocket, and a double layer back yoke with extended shoulders.’
- ‘What is the least I can expect to pay for a decent tailored suit?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.