Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A goatlike mammal inhabiting cliffs and mountain slopes in Oman, southern India, and the Himalayas.Compare with thar
- ‘Along the way you may even sight the Himalayan red panda, musk deer, leopards, black bear, goral and tahr in the national park.’
- ‘He turns his lens time and again to the majesty and grace of the tahr, the endangered mountain goat found in the Western Ghats.’
- ‘The Himalayan tahr was successfully introduced to the South Island of New Zealand during 1904-1919 and now has a breeding range of approximately 5000 km.’
- ‘Dr. Kalam, who has lived in Kerala for several years as a missile scientist at the Vikram Sarabai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram, is familiar with Munnar and the tahr, an endangered species roaming the cliffs of the High Ranges.’
- ‘The exhibition will have a philately counter facilitating the cancellation and sale of special covers featuring the Indian elephant and Nilgiri tahr.’
- ‘Mr. Prasad, born and brought up in Munnar, described as ‘Goat's own country ’, is a renowned wildlife photographer who has keenly followed the Nilgiri tahr for the past 25 years.’
- ‘Usually, those who love such natural vistas are also keen wildlife watchers, and the lucky can spot Himalayan black bear, musk deer, brown bear and tahr, butterflies and, if a miracle happens, the snow leopard.’
- ‘During the first week of March when the park opens its doors to curious visitors who have been kept away for 50 days, they would naturally be expecting to see more tahrs in close vicinity.’
- ‘The High Ranges are home to the Nilgiri tahrs and Nilakurinji - two of the more famous fauna and flora.’
- ‘The moufflons are similar to the Nilgiri tahr, found in the Western Ghats of Southern India.’
- ‘Our friend and guide, Anup, an ornithologist, doing research in the valley, said that two weeks ago he had sighted a tiger stalking a tahr.’
- ‘A type of alpine goat, the tahr is a native of Nepal and was released in New Zealand in 1903.’
- ‘These are home to several fauna like the endangered Nilgiri tahr, marten and primates like the langur.’
- ‘Endangered and keystone species, like the Nilgiri tahr, constitute the basis for bio-diversity conservation.’
- ‘Animal rights activists have reacted with anger after authorities began a cull of more than 100 rare Himalayan tahrs on Table Mountain, Cape Town's most famous landmark.’
Mid 19th century: from Urdu.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.