Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A pair of wrestlers who fight as a team, taking the ring alternately. One team member cannot enter the ring until touched or tagged by the one leaving.
- ‘The second-generation wrestlers were a great tag team but absolutely phenomenal as single competitors.’
- ‘Harris said his first goal was to make it as a singles wrestler and when they told him he was going to be in a tag team, he really had no desire to do so.’
- ‘I mean, they were such a beloved tag team in their day to the point that several sports forums that I visit had folks mention his passing.’
- ‘The one thing a tag team needs to be successful is chemistry; this is what separates a good team from a great team.’
- ‘He was great as a tag team wrestler and occasionally in a singles match but the best in the business he is not.’
- ‘However my proposal to set up a tag team wrestling contest, under WWF rules, to determine the winner was met without much enthusiasm.’
- ‘I'm not a big wrestling fan, but I've watched tag team wrestling.’
- ‘They are perhaps the best tag team in the world and would get over with any wrestling fan.’
- ‘Mo and Yao would also be one of the best tag team wrestling combos.’
- ‘There's going to be a king of the road tournament to find the best wrestler in the country and a special tag team match.’
- ‘He went on to win numerous regional titles and form a successful tag team with his brother, Jerry.’
- ‘This has already been a hard week on wrestling fans with the passing of Stu Hart and now one half of the greatest tag team of all time is gone also.’
- ‘Credible is back to being a member of a tag team rather than a singles performer.’
- ‘This move turned The Midnight Express babyface, ending a near five year run as the top heel tag team in wrestling.’
- ‘In any wrestling company or promotion, tag team matches play an important role.’
- ‘Then the tag team of WWE wrestler Triple H and play-by-play guy Joe Amato took over.’
- ‘I've been teaming with Jesse down there for a long time as a Mexican tag team, which requires me to wear a sombrero to the ring.’
- 1.1North American informal A pair of people working together.
- ‘The victory was unexpected as 18-year-old Cavendish was making his first appearance at a World Championship and the two had not raced together before in an event in which pairs of riders compete as a tag team.’
- ‘However in fairness, Pat Doherty as chairman of the economic committee proved a good tag team member with Sir Reg Empey when on overseas visits or if hosting inward investment prospects.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.