Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nickel-iron alloy occurring as lamellae and strips in meteorites.
- ‘The most common meteorite mineral is the native iron alloys - kamasite, taenite and others.’
- ‘The rate at which an asteroid core cools as well as the amount of taenite contained in the metal affects the thickness of the kamacite bands in the Widmanstätten pattern.’
- ‘More than ten minerals have been found in the Nantan meteorites with kamacite and taenite dominant.’
- ‘Because of the virtual absence of taenite in hexahedrites, polished surfaces of these meteorites are featureless except for the occasional presence of fine striations known as Neumann lines.’
- ‘Ataxites consist primarily of nickel-rich taenite, and kamacite is found only in the form of microscopic lamellae and spindles.’
Mid 19th century: from taenia + -ite.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.