One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nickel-iron alloy occurring as lamellae and strips in meteorites.
- ‘The rate at which an asteroid core cools as well as the amount of taenite contained in the metal affects the thickness of the kamacite bands in the Widmanstätten pattern.’
- ‘Because of the virtual absence of taenite in hexahedrites, polished surfaces of these meteorites are featureless except for the occasional presence of fine striations known as Neumann lines.’
- ‘The most common meteorite mineral is the native iron alloys - kamasite, taenite and others.’
- ‘More than ten minerals have been found in the Nantan meteorites with kamacite and taenite dominant.’
- ‘Ataxites consist primarily of nickel-rich taenite, and kamacite is found only in the form of microscopic lamellae and spindles.’
Mid 19th century: from taenia + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.