A nickel-iron alloy occurring as lamellae and strips in meteorites.
- ‘The most common meteorite mineral is the native iron alloys - kamasite, taenite and others.’
- ‘Because of the virtual absence of taenite in hexahedrites, polished surfaces of these meteorites are featureless except for the occasional presence of fine striations known as Neumann lines.’
- ‘More than ten minerals have been found in the Nantan meteorites with kamacite and taenite dominant.’
- ‘Ataxites consist primarily of nickel-rich taenite, and kamacite is found only in the form of microscopic lamellae and spindles.’
- ‘The rate at which an asteroid core cools as well as the amount of taenite contained in the metal affects the thickness of the kamacite bands in the Widmanstätten pattern.’
Mid 19th century: from taenia + -ite.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.