One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nickel-iron alloy occurring as lamellae and strips in meteorites.
- ‘The rate at which an asteroid core cools as well as the amount of taenite contained in the metal affects the thickness of the kamacite bands in the Widmanstätten pattern.’
- ‘Ataxites consist primarily of nickel-rich taenite, and kamacite is found only in the form of microscopic lamellae and spindles.’
- ‘More than ten minerals have been found in the Nantan meteorites with kamacite and taenite dominant.’
- ‘The most common meteorite mineral is the native iron alloys - kamasite, taenite and others.’
- ‘Because of the virtual absence of taenite in hexahedrites, polished surfaces of these meteorites are featureless except for the occasional presence of fine striations known as Neumann lines.’
Mid 19th century: from taenia + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.