Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flat ribbonlike structure in the body.
- ‘Here, we have shown the pilae ossifying dorsally, as an irregular sheet of bone running roughly between the pila antotica and a similar band of cartilage which comes off the top of the otic capsule, the taenia marginalis.’
- ‘The longitudinal muscle layer continues between the teniae as a thin but complete coat.’
- ‘These sites lie always between the mesenteric tenia and the two antimesenteric teniae, so that the diverticula form rows along the lateral surfaces of the organ.’
- ‘The ingestion of undercooked pork infected with cysticerci is the exclusive path to the development of intestinal taenia, which closes the life cycle of the parasite.’
- 1.1The smooth longitudinal muscles of the colon.
- ‘The three taeniae coli converge at the base of the vermiform appendix on the cecum.’
- ‘It begins at the cecum, with the teniae coli.’
- ‘Bundles of muscle from the teniae coli penetrate the circular layer at irregular intervals.’
- ‘Hanging off the taeniae coli are pouches called epiploic appendages.’
- ‘Contraction of the teniae coli exerts pressure on the wall and creates a series of pouches, called haustra, along the colon.’
A fillet between a Doric architrave and frieze.
3(in ancient Greece) a band or ribbon worn around a person's head.
4A large tapeworm that parasitizes mammals.
Mid 16th century ( taenia): via Latin from Greek tainia band, ribbon.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.