One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Mexican dish consisting of a fried tortilla, typically folded, filled with various mixtures, such as seasoned meat, beans, lettuce, and tomatoes.
- ‘She explains the difference between chimichangas, burritos, tacos, tostadas, enchiladas and fajitas.’
- ‘Use the crisp corn tortillas in dishes such as tacos and nachos.’
- ‘The menu had a wide variety of snacks and drinks on it varying from pizzas, burgers and tacos to soft drinks, juice and coffee.’
- ‘Sometimes a chicken taco or a chicken sandwich just sounds good so I'll have one.’
- ‘There'd be little reason to complain if the menu featured burgers and tacos.’
- ‘Other menu items include stuffed sandwiches, subs, quesadillas, wings, tacos and salads.’
- ‘The couple seated next to me was having swordfish; the family next to them, tacos and traditional Mexican cuisine.’
- ‘Signs on store fronts promise tacos and egg rolls, but the windows are dark and the doors bolted.’
- ‘My list includes things like hamburgers, grilled chicken, chili, tacos and calzones.’
- ‘He brought tacos rolled up in waxed paper or fried chicken in a bucket, or ham sandwiches from the cafeteria.’
- ‘But, really, dad can only make tacos, burgers, meatloaf, and cornbread fit to eat.’
- ‘As I put the tacos and tortillas down on the dining room table I noticed that Cheryl and Helena were not among us.’
- ‘No amount of yogurt parfaits, or fat free lean beef tacos is going to convince those who eat healthy otherwise.’
- ‘Crumbled meatloaf can be used in any meal calling for cooked ground beef, such as tacos.’
- ‘I also enjoyed the grilled cheese sandwich and soup, and I got to try other foods that we never had at home, like beef tacos.’
- ‘Fresh tortillas are eaten as bread, used as plate and spoon, or filled to make composite dishes such as tacos and enchiladas.’
- ‘There are decent, pliable corn tortillas and a searing, aromatic green salsa with which to make your own chicken tacos.’
- ‘If you remembered to keep a package of tortillas in the freezer, you've also got the makings of bean burritos or tacos.’
- ‘He ordered two cheese pizzas, breadsticks, water and three chicken soft tacos.’
- ‘Oftentimes I don't eat dinner, but if I do I'll have a chicken taco, chicken salad or piece of pizza.’
Mexican Spanish, from Spanish, literally ‘plug, wad’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.