One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pulley over which a rope runs.
- ‘Another thing they had in common was all of these tackles, at least up through most of the 18th Century, made use of long tackle blocks rather than common double blocks.’
- ‘The tackle blocks are set, the anchorages are down, and the lead ropes are all in place.’
- ‘Specifications state that the main sheet tackle blocks must be affixed to the boom in accordance with the official plans.’
- ‘This gun truck tackle block was likely used to move and secure one of the CSS Alabama's large pivot guns.’
- ‘Thick, leafy branches might have obscured the old tackle block hanging from a branch directly over the pit.’
tackle block/ˈtakəl bläk/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.