A pulley over which a rope runs.
- ‘Specifications state that the main sheet tackle blocks must be affixed to the boom in accordance with the official plans.’
- ‘Thick, leafy branches might have obscured the old tackle block hanging from a branch directly over the pit.’
- ‘This gun truck tackle block was likely used to move and secure one of the CSS Alabama's large pivot guns.’
- ‘Another thing they had in common was all of these tackles, at least up through most of the 18th Century, made use of long tackle blocks rather than common double blocks.’
- ‘The tackle blocks are set, the anchorages are down, and the lead ropes are all in place.’
tackle block/ˈtakəl bläk/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.