One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tachometer providing a record of engine speed over a period, especially in a commercial road vehicle.
- ‘The retrieved tachograph had recorded a speed of 122 kilometres per hour at the time of the accident.’
- ‘His tachograph showed that the brakes had not been applied at all, said the prosecutor.’
- ‘Like a black box or tachograph, it also keeps a record of its measurements and could even contact the police or slow or stop the car.’
- ‘This is a powerful indicator to their standing as commercials, and hence they will require a tachograph when towing a trailer for commercial purposes.’
- ‘Luckily for him, the bus's tachograph showed that he had in fact been doing 29 mph.’
- ‘Tools such as the tachograph, which keeps a record of the distance travelled and rest periods taken, will also be used to enforce the new rules.’
- ‘Officers would also be checking the vehicle for defects, inspecting the tachograph and checking for any alcohol content in the bodies of the drivers.’
- ‘Since the tachograph requires odometer pulse information, most vehicle models provide such a signal.’
- ‘A lorry driver in the last ten years of his working life, struggling to cope with modern traffic and trying to deliver goods on time, falsifies his tachograph.’
- ‘He has previously been fined for carrying dangerous loads and not calibrating a tachograph on one of his vehicles.’
- ‘Either he operated a switch on the tachograph recorder which should only be operated when he is not the driver, or he inserted the disc on which the tachograph mechanically records information in a position which is used by a non-driver.’
- ‘The dispute was over the ‘spy in the cab’ use of tachographs, which showed the speed and length of travel.’
- ‘Haulage drivers are already affected by tachographs on vehicles and there are quite tough restrictions for how long you can drive and leaving long rest periods.’
- ‘‘We tend to think of lorry drivers who use tachographs and are obviously expected by law to drive within set limits,’ she said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.