Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person or thing that arranges data in tabular form.
- ‘This caused a considerable scoring headache for the official tabulators, but somehow they managed to sort it all out.’
- ‘Laboratory-trained personnel were used because pilot studies showed the need for tabulators who could understand unique situations encountered in each site.’
- ‘We have central tabulators for these machines running on Windows software, compiling results that can be demonstrably tampered with.’
- ‘As annalists, tabulators of losses and gains, commentators on the future of states and societies, we emphasise its first sense too heavily.’
- ‘Back-end vote tabulators can be easily hacked.’
- ‘Validation studies verified our ability to repeat tabulations between tabulators and laboratories within acceptable limits.’
- ‘Data were collected by field tabulators (moderate- or high-complexity laboratories) or through a mail/telephone survey (waived or provider-performed microscopy laboratories) for each site.’
- ‘They use a program which fills the screen of the PC and effectively turns it into the central tabulator system.’
- ‘Of course, the central tabulator is the most desirable target.’
- ‘The names of all individuals allowed access to central tabulators should be posted publicly during elections, and all individuals who have access the central tabulator should be available to citizens through public records requests.’
- ‘What surprises people is that the central tabulator is just a PC, like what you and I use.’
- ‘This protection, when coupled with the on-site data tabulators using existing data and a simple mail/telephone survey, provided the observed response rate of 79%.’
2another term for tab
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.