One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large spoon for serving food.
- ‘Spoons, usually a single tablespoon, are or were owned by a significant number of New England churches.’
- ‘One can play metal teaspoons, tablespoons, soup spoons, and wooden spoons.’
- ‘Using a tablespoon, spoon the batter into the pan to form small pancakes and sauté on both sides until golden brown.’
- 1.1 A measurement in cooking, equivalent to 1/2 fluid ounce, three teaspoons, or 15 ml.
- ‘Next, stir in beef and 2 tablespoons soy sauce.’
- ‘Add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, wine, or lemon juice and scrape the bottom.’
- ‘Spread the beef slices out on a worktop and spoon a heaped tablespoon of filling into the centre of each.’
- ‘Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill.’
- ‘Combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.’
- ‘Reserve four tablespoons of the fig syrup for the garnish.’
- ‘In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt two tablespoons butter.’
- ‘Off the heat, add a pat of butter and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar.’
- ‘Combine one cup of shredded red cabbage and three tablespoons of fat-free mayonnaise.’
- ‘Have a heaping tablespoon of ground seeds a day.’
- ‘Take a heaped tablespoon of the chicken mixture and push a hollow in it with your thumb.’
- ‘Add one tablespoon of oil and stir to coat.’
- ‘Spoon a generous tablespoon of the fish mixture on each tortilla chip; top each with a cilantro leaf.’
- ‘In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining three tablespoons of flour and the nutmeg.’
- ‘I take two tablespoons of flaxseed oil every day for the essential fatty acids.’
- ‘Add one tablespoon of butter and sear the veal on the other side.’
- ‘When the water is boiling, put several tablespoons of salt in before you add the pasta.’
- ‘In a large wok or frying pan heat two tablespoons of oil until smoking.’
- ‘Spoon a generous heaping tablespoon of the chocolate batter into each muffin cup.’
- ‘Roll each ball and put in a tablespoon of the filling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.