Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of musical notation indicating fingering rather than the pitch of notes, written on lines corresponding to, for example, the strings of a guitar or the holes on a flute.→ tab
- ‘That's why they tried to shut down several other sites providing lyrics, tablature and chord charts.’
- ‘Learning to write tablature, the method dulcimer musicians use to write out their tunes, is easy.’
- ‘‘I told you tablature and lyrics were keepers already’ I told him as I marked the paired songs and lyrics down in a notebook for us to recheck.’
- ‘The Turin tablatures contain a similar range of music notated in new German keyboard tablature rather than staff notation, including transcriptions of motets and madrigals as well as idiomatic keyboard music.’
- ‘They didn't worry about going on the Internet and reading a whole bunch of D grade tablature to learn music.’
- ‘She had just discovered a sheet of tablature between her revered copies of Good Housekeeping magazine, which he had scribbled out in his uneven handwriting and told me I'd be able to play with my eyes closed.’
- ‘Music for the lute was written in tablature, indicating which strings were to be stopped on which frets, with the rhythm noted above.’
- ‘The notation looks just like contemporary guitar tablature, but my musical knowledge stops around there.’
- ‘Now, also in that copy of Little Red Rooster were all these blues solos written out in tablature.’
- ‘The Official Guitar Styles of Mark Knopfler is a complete ‘off-the-record’ guitar transcription of all his biggest hits in tablature and standard notation, complete with lyrics and chord symbols.’
- ‘When I was eight or nine, he set me up with his small, nylon-strung guitar, and showed me the chords and how to read tablature.’
- ‘My progress was slow, as my teacher didn't bother teaching me how to read tablature - he wanted me to be able to read and write music.’
Late 16th century: from French, probably from Italian tavolatura, from tavolare set to music.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.