One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A T-shaped offensive formation, with the halfbacks and fullback positioned in a line parallel to the line of scrimmage.
- ‘Chicago starter Paul Christman was out with a broken wrist, so Ray Mallouf came off the bench and ran the Cards' T-formation.’
- ‘He spends more pages on the development and role of the West Coast offense than on the development of the T-formation, yet the T-formation was what pushed the NFL into the 20th century.’
- ‘But however you tweak it, to the NFL, the 80-year-old Coliseum belongs back with the Model T and the T-formation.’
- ‘In the late '40s and '50s, many of the quarterbacks had been single-wing tailbacks in college because the T-formation was rarely used.’
- ‘If the inventor of the T-formation in football had been able to copyright it, the sport might have come to an end instead of prospering.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.