1A beam or bar shaped like the letter T.
- ‘A T-bar clips into the glove box of any vehicle and the curry can then be hung safely and securely on the hook.’
- ‘He stole a gold chain with a T-bar, a gold chain with a sovereign, a gold sovereign ring and a gold and sapphire diamond ring.’
- ‘The property he took was a silver and gold Citizen's wristwatch, with a Babalone face, and a gold necklace, with large flat links and a T-bar.’
- ‘The Cambiocorsa also comes with a little T-bar reverse selector on the centre console.’
- 1.1 A type of ski lift in the form of a series of inverted T-shaped bars for towing two skiers at a time uphill.
- ‘Also, nobody told me that you don't actually sit down on a T-bar.’
- ‘We finish at a downhill ski area and a T-bar lift to a fine hotel at the top of a run.’
- ‘As we climb Cairngorm on the T-bar I ask my instructor Alistair if he can sum up the appeal of our Scottish slopes.’
- ‘So it was unsurprising when, later in the week, William was photographed riding a T-bar with a rather more attractive companion.’
- ‘Generally they'll have a few rope-tows or T-bars to take you up a main route on the mountain; from there you traverse to where you want to ski, or head straight down.’
- 1.2often as modifier A T-shaped fastening on a shoe or sandal.‘a pair of T-bar sandals’
- ‘She had a very plain face with no distinctive features; her hair was straight, brown and uninteresting; and she liked to wear tweed, A-line skirts, buttoned-up blouses, T-bar shoes.’
- ‘I didn't really fit in with the other girls either, who always came to class in frilly dresses and t-bar shoes.’
- ‘My sister is wearing a floral print frock, white socks and t-bar sandals.’
- ‘Nearby, a woman in a pair of T-bar sandals asked softly for a copy of 'Ghandi and Non-violence'.’
- ‘Girls wore pretty frocks, usually teamed with a pair of patent leather T-bar shoes, and boys wore their school trousers and a snazzy shirt that they thought made them look like David Cassidy.’
- ‘For her starring role Hannah was taken to Otley, where she went into make-up to be transformed into a 1960s teenager with a little skirt, hair in bunches and T-bar shoes.’
2The horizontal line of the letter T.
- ‘When we speak of the t bar, we mean the horizontal line crossing the stem of the t.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.