Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[often with modifier] An enzyme that catalyzes the linking together of two molecules, especially without the direct involvement of ATP.‘nitric oxide synthases’Compare with ligase
- ‘Production was not abrogated by inhibitors of cyclooxygenases, xanthine oxidase, nitric oxide synthases, and mitochondrial enzymes.’
- ‘In contrast to the homotrimeric solution state of native riboflavin synthase, the enzyme was found to be monomeric in the crystal structure.’
- ‘Fluorouracil induces apoptosis by inhibition of the enzyme thymidylate synthase during DNA replication.’
- ‘This enzyme is glycogen synthase, which helps remove glucose from the blood and store it as glycogen.’
- ‘This is plausible because the enzyme citrate synthase is localized in the mitochondrial matrix.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.