One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often with modifier An enzyme that catalyzes the linking together of two molecules, especially without the direct involvement of ATP.‘nitric oxide synthases’Compare with ligase
- ‘Production was not abrogated by inhibitors of cyclooxygenases, xanthine oxidase, nitric oxide synthases, and mitochondrial enzymes.’
- ‘Fluorouracil induces apoptosis by inhibition of the enzyme thymidylate synthase during DNA replication.’
- ‘This is plausible because the enzyme citrate synthase is localized in the mitochondrial matrix.’
- ‘This enzyme is glycogen synthase, which helps remove glucose from the blood and store it as glycogen.’
- ‘In contrast to the homotrimeric solution state of native riboflavin synthase, the enzyme was found to be monomeric in the crystal structure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.