One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or denoting the relationship between two or more linguistic units used sequentially to make well-formed structures.Contrasted with paradigmatic
- ‘The smallest possible unities - phonemic - are integrated into ever higher levels of unity - morphemic, syntactic, syntagmatic, narratological - that are simultaneously equivalent to ‘higher’ levels of thought.’
- ‘Chinese poetic discourse favors syntagmatic relations between its constituent elements.’
- ‘The semiology of the cinema will be the discipline that applies linguistic model, especially syntagmatic ones, to images as constituting one of their principle ‘codes’.’
- ‘A full understanding of elegy needs to move beyond a syntagmatic analysis and follow the genre in its evolution.’
- ‘In this and the next chapter I turn to ‘horizontal’ relations between units, that is to say, the syntagmatic combination of simpler units into larger, internally more complex units.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.