One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or denoting the relationship between two or more linguistic units used sequentially to make well-formed structures.Contrasted with paradigmatic
- ‘The semiology of the cinema will be the discipline that applies linguistic model, especially syntagmatic ones, to images as constituting one of their principle ‘codes’.’
- ‘The smallest possible unities - phonemic - are integrated into ever higher levels of unity - morphemic, syntactic, syntagmatic, narratological - that are simultaneously equivalent to ‘higher’ levels of thought.’
- ‘In this and the next chapter I turn to ‘horizontal’ relations between units, that is to say, the syntagmatic combination of simpler units into larger, internally more complex units.’
- ‘A full understanding of elegy needs to move beyond a syntagmatic analysis and follow the genre in its evolution.’
- ‘Chinese poetic discourse favors syntagmatic relations between its constituent elements.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.