Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a family of fish with an elongated snout and no ventral and first dorsal fins. It includes the sea moths, seahorses, and trumpet fish.
- ‘Thus, most syngnathids appear largely confined to the uptake of small invertebrates.’
- ‘As a result of this listing, it is an offence to kill, injure, take or trade syngnathids and solenostomids in, or from, a Commonwealth area.’
- ‘In terms of their reproductive ecology, the syngnathids studied thus far fall into two broad categories.’
- ‘The significance of syngnathids to conservation was recognized through their blanket protection in South Australia.’
- ‘Different genera of syngnathids show varying degrees of male brood pouch development, culminating in the sealed seahorse pouch.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.