A substance, organ, or other agent that participates in an effect of synergy.
- ‘This may require co-ordination of groups of muscle synergists within one limb, or between several limbs, trunk, head, and eyes.’
- ‘In some cases, a synergist, such as piperonyl butoxide, is used to prevent recovery.’
- ‘An indirect role for glucanases, as a synergist for expansin action, has been proposed.’
- ‘At high concentration tocopherols act as prooxidant synergists with transition metal ions, lipid peroxides or other oxidizing agents.’
- ‘Further studies are needed to determine if hops acts as a mild sedative independently, as a synergist, or is absent of sedative action.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.