Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ecological study of whole plant or animal communities.Contrasted with autecology
- ‘The second will carry on the problems of synecology on the community level and animal societies.’
- ‘Additional information on the autecology and synecology of Microstegium (and other species ranked herein) are in The Nature Conservancy's Element Stewardship Abstracts.’
- ‘Nonetheless, we estimated ecological effects and impacts based on reviews of the literature and our knowledge of the autecology and synecology of these species.’
- ‘Ecology actually includes synecology as well as two other of its branches- outecology, and democology.’
- ‘Early focus of this school was on autecology of herbaceous plants, especially the edaphic basis of population differentiation and on synecology of grasslands, especially the grazing effects.’
Early 20th century: from syn- ‘together’+ ecology.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.