One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ecological study of whole plant or animal communities.Contrasted with autecology
- ‘Ecology actually includes synecology as well as two other of its branches- outecology, and democology.’
- ‘The second will carry on the problems of synecology on the community level and animal societies.’
- ‘Early focus of this school was on autecology of herbaceous plants, especially the edaphic basis of population differentiation and on synecology of grasslands, especially the grazing effects.’
- ‘Additional information on the autecology and synecology of Microstegium (and other species ranked herein) are in The Nature Conservancy's Element Stewardship Abstracts.’
- ‘Nonetheless, we estimated ecological effects and impacts based on reviews of the literature and our knowledge of the autecology and synecology of these species.’
Early 20th century: from syn- ‘together’ + ecology.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.