One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of risk factors (including glucose intolerance, high triglycerides, obesity, and hypertension) that indicate predisposition to diabetes.
- ‘Due to a genetic predisposition, urban Indians suffer from extremely high obesity, syndrome X, diabetes and coronary heart disease.’
- ‘Insulin sensitivity testing revealed all of the patients had at least one clinical sign of metabolic syndrome or syndrome X.’
- ‘Central or visceral obesity is a central feature of syndrome X, and waist-to-hip ratios and BMI are significantly greater in NASH patients than in controls.’
- ‘In contrast, the prevalence of syndrome X was calculated to be as low as 3% for men and 3.4% for women in a large Italian probability sample.’
- ‘In patients with syndrome X, insulin cannot transport the glucose, causing the pancreas to produce more insulin to normalize blood glucose levels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.