A group of risk factors (including glucose intolerance, high triglycerides, obesity, and hypertension) that indicate predisposition to diabetes.
- ‘Central or visceral obesity is a central feature of syndrome X, and waist-to-hip ratios and BMI are significantly greater in NASH patients than in controls.’
- ‘In patients with syndrome X, insulin cannot transport the glucose, causing the pancreas to produce more insulin to normalize blood glucose levels.’
- ‘Insulin sensitivity testing revealed all of the patients had at least one clinical sign of metabolic syndrome or syndrome X.’
- ‘Due to a genetic predisposition, urban Indians suffer from extremely high obesity, syndrome X, diabetes and coronary heart disease.’
- ‘In contrast, the prevalence of syndrome X was calculated to be as low as 3% for men and 3.4% for women in a large Italian probability sample.’