One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a polymer or polymeric structure) in which the repeating units have alternating stereochemical configurations.
- ‘Depending on the location of the side groups and the nature of the starting monomers, linear polymers can have various structural isomers denoted as isotactic, syndiotactic, or atactic.’
- ‘The diffusional behavior of helium and carbon dioxide in crystalline syndiotactic polystyrene has been studied by means of molecular simulation.’
- ‘In a syndiotactic macromolecule, the configurational repeating unit consists of two configurational base units that are enantiomeric.’
- ‘This specification covers syndiotactic polystyrene materials including homopolymer, copolymers, blends, and impact modified, suitable for molding and extrusion.’
- ‘It should also be mentioned that syndiotactic polypropylene is also suitable for recycled uses because it is not cross-linked.’
1950s: from Greek sunduo ‘two together’ + taktos ‘arranged’ + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.