One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Part of the problem in making extrapolations from these patterns to build a theory is that the relationship between language and social structure may vary considerably, both synchronically and diachronically.’
- ‘Reading Scripture diachronically and synchronically, all views provided by the canon would be considered as in a kind of dialogue.’
- ‘Dobson emphasised the enormous variations in speech through the period, both synchronically and diachronically, over time and region.’
- ‘Each can be studied synchronically or diachronically and the order in which they have been dealt with within a grammar has fluctuated over the years.’
- ‘To understand a language as a functioning system is to look at it synchronically, trying to spell out the rules and conventions of the system that make possible the forms and meanings of the language.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.