One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Part of the problem in making extrapolations from these patterns to build a theory is that the relationship between language and social structure may vary considerably, both synchronically and diachronically.’
- ‘Reading Scripture diachronically and synchronically, all views provided by the canon would be considered as in a kind of dialogue.’
- ‘Dobson emphasised the enormous variations in speech through the period, both synchronically and diachronically, over time and region.’
- ‘To understand a language as a functioning system is to look at it synchronically, trying to spell out the rules and conventions of the system that make possible the forms and meanings of the language.’
- ‘Each can be studied synchronically or diachronically and the order in which they have been dealt with within a grammar has fluctuated over the years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.