One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ladderlike series of parallel threads visible in electron microscopy adjacent to and coaxial with pairing chromosomes in meiosis.
- ‘The nucleus reorganizes during this time, as sister chromosomes pair and the synaptonemal complex forms.’
- ‘In the absence of recombination, it has been suggested that the synaptonemal complex may assume this role in some organisms.’
- ‘Despite no or reduced exchange, both mutant alleles have normal synaptonemal complex.’
- ‘The synaptonemal complex is present at this stage, and meiotic recombination is completed within this context.’
- ‘The early gene family encodes factors required for meiotic DNA replication, chromosome pairing, synaptonemal complex formation, and meiotic recombination.’
1950s: from synapto- (combining form of synapsis) + Greek nēma ‘thread’ + -al.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.