Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a drug) producing physiological effects characteristic of the sympathetic nervous system by promoting the stimulation of sympathetic nerves.
- ‘Pharmacologically, caffeine is a kissing cousin of theophylline, and in high doses it can produce sympathomimetic effects.’
- ‘That sympathomimetic drug, which stimulates the nervous system, increases metabolism and burns fat.’
- ‘Both of these drugs have been used as appetite suppressants and both have amphetamine-like sympathomimetic effects.’
- ‘Tachycardia and hypertension are the result of sympathomimetic stimulation and the psychedelic effects of the drug result from serotonergic stimulation.’
- ‘More evidence, if any were needed, that the sympathomimetic drugs of recreation cocaine, amphetamines, and ecstasy are bad for the heart.’
- ‘Sinus tachycardia is usually a physiological response but may be precipitated by sympathomimetic drugs or endocrine disturbances.’
A sympathomimetic drug, often used in nasal decongestants.
- ‘It has also been suggested that the long-acting sympathomimetics when administered alone may contribute to a loss of control of asthma and even death.’
- ‘The use of sympathomimetics should be avoided in patients with ventricular fibrillation.’
- ‘She had not taken any over-the-counter or prescription sympathomimetics, nor did she have a history of risk factors for hypertension or type 2 diabetes.’
- ‘Although these drugs may have antiinflammatory properties, they are considerably less effective than the sympathomimetics and potentially produce more significant side effects.’
- ‘Precipitants include being in a dark room (dilates pupil), stress, and certain drugs (e.g., sympathomimetics or anticholinergics).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.