One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who agrees with or supports a sentiment or opinion.‘a Nazi sympathizer’
supporter, advocate, backer, well-wisher, ally, partisan, fellow travellerView synonyms
- ‘Funds were collected from the masses, sympathisers and well-wishers.’
- ‘You need a network of supporters and sympathisers prepared to hide and give succour, financial and otherwise for the cause.’
- ‘Simply put, just about every Colombian has done something that might result in him or herself being labeled a collaborator or sympathizer by one of Colombia's armed groups.’
- ‘And when they are written by supporters or sympathisers of a person who has been active in politics they smack of propaganda.’
- ‘He was a Communist - not a sympathizer or fellow traveler, but a card-carrying meeting-attender.’
- ‘Charles's assurances that he had letters of support from sympathisers in England are themselves evidence of anxiety.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.